Steamed Butternut Squash Puree Recipe
- Wash one butternut squash.
- Peel it.
- Lay the squash on its side on a sturdy cutting board.
- Cut off both ends – This makes the next step easier.
- Place the bottom (larger) end on the cutting board so the top end is facing up.
- Using a large kitchen knife cut the squash in half, starting at the top and working the knife down.
- Scoop out the seeds using a spoon and discard the seeds.
- Cut the halves into 2″ wide slices.
- Quarter those slices.
- Add 4 cups of water to the steamer saucepot and place the steam basket into the saucepot.
- Cover the steamer and set the temperature to med-high.
- Once the water is boiling, put the butternut squash chunks into the steamer basket and cover.
- Steam for 12-15 mins or until tender – Add more water if needed.
- Remove the chunks from the steamer and place them in Vitamix or a blender of your choice.
- Add 4 ounces of water from the saucepot (it contains a lot of nutrients) and 2 scoops of formula OR 4 ounces of breast milk.
- Blend until the puree can easily pour out of the blender into the ice cube trays.
- Add more water or breast milk if the puree is too thick.
Butternut Squash Puree Mixtures
- Acorn Squash: 4 months
- Apples: 4 months
- Avocados: 4 months
- Bananas: 4 months
- Barley: 4 months
- Blueberries: 8 months
- Brown Rice Cereal: 4 months
- Carrots: 6 months
- Green Beans: 6 months
- Kale: 6 months
- Oatmeal Cereal: 4 months
- Parsnips: 6 months
- Peaches: 6 months
- Pears: 4 months
- Pumpkin: 6 months
- Sweet Potatoes: 4 months
Leave comments, feedback or success stories below!